CRISPY PLANTAIN CHIPS

All of a sudden, I decided to make something very light and nice. So I thought of making  ' PLANTAIN CHIPS ' as many will call it but I will call it ' CRISPY PLANTAIN CHIPS ' because I spiced my with a little of cinnamon, ground pepper etc.

You won't believe I had my ' CRISPY PLANTAIN CHIPS ' with chilled Zobo drink
It was excellent! Instead of always munching popcorn when watching movies.  I usually go for chips, chin-chin etc.
Below is the recipe I used for making my ' CRISPY PLANTAIN CHIPS ' but as always I will give you some facts about the plantain (call me a historian if you like).
English Name: plantain chips
Yoruba Name: ìpékeré
Igbo Name: plantain Ibe
Hausa Name:  Kwakwalwan Kwamfuta
Spanish Name: Chips de plátano
French Name: Cope aux de plantain
Recipe (for 2-3 servings)
             5 unripe plantains
             1/2 teaspoon of Cinnamon
              Pinch of SALT
              1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
              2-3 cloves of garlic
             Vegetable / groundnut oil for frying
Equipments: knife, mandolin, measuring spoon, bowl and frying pan / deep fryer.
              
PROCEDURES:
Step 1:  Wash and peel the outer skin of the plantains but be careful when doing this, in other not to stain your clothes and injure your fingers. It can be easier if a knife is used while peeling.
Step 2: decide on how you want to slice your plantains either lengthwise or slice it into a thin round shape. It's left for you to decide. [ NOTE: use a mandolin to get that perfect, nice thinness or use a knife ]
Step 3: peel off the skin of the garlic and measure out the remaining ingredients.
Step 4: heat the oil in a deep fryer, to about 375F-400F and if using a frying pan heat oil till it sizzles add the garlic to draw out it's flavour.
Step 5: add salt, cinnamon, ground pepper to the sliced plantain and toss till the spice has been distributed evenly.
Step 6:  fry until the chips looks golden and not burnt, serve immediately or when cool and enjoy with any drink of your choice.
KEY POINTS:
1. Slice your plantain neatly and perfect this gives it a nice look.
2. Season moderately.
3. Fry evenly and crispy

Comments

Popular Post

GINGER-LIME TEA

SAVOURY PUFF-PUFF